Green Tomato Salsa
But we are still left with a lot of green dudes and today is tomato processing day. So, my first project was green tomato salsa, or salsa verde. Salsa verde is traditionally made with tomatillos, so feel free to substitute those in the place of the tomatoes for the recipe, below. This recipe made one pint jar and it turned out so tasty that I'm making more to freeze.
|Salsa Verde and a T-rex|
- 1 lb green tomatoes sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Juice form half a lime
- Olive Oil
- Black pepper
- Place the sliced green tomatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper. Then broil for about 15 minutes, until the tomatoes start to brown and collapse a bit.
Roasted Green Tomatoes
- Add the roasted green tomatoes, jalapeno, and garlic to a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Pour the green tomato blend into a bowl and mix in the cilantro, onion, lime juice, and cumin. Taste and add salt if desired.